Saturday, January 22, 2011

Schedule Schmedule

So, Michael and I have really never tried to put Joey on a schedule.  I guess you would call us "on-demand" parents, meaning we feed, change, and put Joey to sleep when HE wants these things, not because it's a certain time.  This has really worked well for us.  I know that having a set schedule would help plan things a little better, but we like the way we've been doing things. 

Joey after our hike in Far North Bicentennial Park this past week! 

It seems like a lot of the 8 month old babies we hang around with like to nap at 10 AM and 2 PM.  Last month, Joey and I stayed at home a lot more during the days than we usually had been in the previous months of his life due to how freaking cold and icy it was.  By us staying home, I really got to see when Joey was "tired" or "hungry". 
The new object of Joey's affection!

Can you believe that Joey likes to sleep around 10 AM and 2 PM?!?!  All of our "on-demand" parenting style and the kid wants the "normal" schedule that a lot of 8 months old use.  I guess I'm not super shocked...there is a reason people have that schedule for their babies.  I guess I'm just amazed at how our baby actually picked this "schedule" himself. 

Joey and a new little friend, Olivia (born two days apart)

I like when I actually see my baby do things that I have researched or read about in all of the baby books/websites/blogs.  It validates all of the time I have spent studying, reading, researching, questioning baby developmental things.  All of my research also helps me realize when something is not right with Joey.  If I haven't ever heard or seen something that is going on with Joey, like Popsicle Panniculitis, then I know it's time to call the docs.  My Dad gives me a hard time about always referring to "the books" when it comes to raising a baby, but you know what, I trust "the books".  I went to college.  I have studied things my whole life.  This is what I do.  I don't always believe everything I read...that's why I read several different books/websites/blogs and talk with lots of other parents.  I'm glad that there are several people out there that have taken the time to write "instruction manuals" on how to care for a kid.  Do you know how many times I had to go to a book to learn how to do stuff associated with breastfeeding?  I even went to a class on how to change a diaper and give a baby a bath!  I know that stuff seems like common sense and I have changed diapers when I was 13 years old, but that was a long time ago! I want the most up-to-date ways to do things.  The most efficient.  If I wouldn't have read that Parenting magazine, I would have never even thought about doing that nose-sucking straddle!  That move right there has made life with a snotty kid SO much easier!  Plus, the books are close and convenient, unlike my parents or in-laws that could give me on-the-spot advice! 

This little "cave" is where we have been parking the lion, but Joey decided that he wanted to check it out!

Since learning that Joey likes to nap around 10, I have had to end some of the mom group things.  Most mom events start at 10/1030.  I had to cancel my Stroller Strides membership this month due to Joey's naps.  This really sucked, but once I looked back at the past few months, I could tell that Joey has always wanted to sleep around 10 and I have just ignored it.  He was always cranky in class.  I had to carry him in almost every class.  I just thought he was being a shit-head!  No, he was just TIRED!  Geez, what a great parenting moment this has been!  Oh well, I have learned from this experience and as much as I did not want to quit Stroller Strides, it was the best thing for my child.  He needs his sleep, that's when babies do their developing!  I don't won't my child to be delayed because I had to get my exercise and chatty chat on!  

Joey hanging with his Stroller Strides girlfriend, Sophie.

 Speaking of schedules, Joey has also started going to bed for the night at 630 PM!  WHAT?!?!  I am somewhat annoyed by this.  630 PM?  That's so freaking early.  We were actually trying to get him to go to bed closer to 9 PM so Michael could actually have a chance at seeing Joey. But Joey liked his 730 PM bedtime.  Well, the past few days, Joey is now really fighting us and making clear that 630 PM is his new bedtime.  He even wanted to sleep at 6 PM the other night and it took everything in my power to get him to stay awake until 630 PM!   Maybe it's just a phase and he'll go to bed later in a few days, weeks, or months.  Everything is a phase with kids, so this should be too.  I just hope it's a short phase. 

Joey attacking his Stroller Strides girlfriend!

The set schedule is taking some time to get used to, though.  I feel very tethered to the house now.  Since we live at least 30 minutes from town, our driving time is at least an hour, town and back, at the minimum.  Most of the time it takes longer than an hour in driving time.  This really doesn't give us much time to get our errands done.  This has been super frustrating for me.  When I go into town, I like to knock a bunch of things at once, but with this new nap time schedule, I usually only have time for one or two errands.  Sigh.  That's okay, I will adapt and overcome!  I will just have to make some adjustments.  Just when you think you get this parenting thing figured out, your kid shakes things up on you!  I've heard many parents say they only consistent thing in parenting is inconsistency!  So very true. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, hang in there. By this summer (or so) Joey will move those two naps into one afternoon nap around 1ish - and it'll last 2-3 hours! But it works out, b/c then you have the whole morning to go out & about, then spend the afternoon home. So right about the time y’alls weather starts warming up, he'll start moving that nap time so you can rejoin your stroller class if ya want! So just keep that in mind. And the kiddos keep that afternoon nap up for the next 2-4 years! I remember when Emma was going through that same exact phase and I hated not having much time to go out & about. Our moms club does their activities around 10 too, and I couldn’t make it to anything either. So just hang in there, find some good indoor activities (kudos on the treadmill btw!), and just know this is only temporary. And about the bedtime, he'll stretch that out eventually too. Emma's is now around 8pm, but I know she'd stay up later if we'd let her. So you can "customize" that as Joey gets older and can hang till that late. Plus it helps if/when you have dinner plans or whatever. But just give it another 6 months or so and you’ll be rejoining the land of the living again. Take care Mama, you’re doing great!

    ReplyDelete