Tuesday, November 30, 2010

No Popsicles for Joey

So, Joey is never allowed to eat Popsicles...ever! I'll explain why.

Do you see the red spots on Joey's cheeks? We didn't just come in from the cold outdoors, nor is this the end of a Joey tantrum. These spots have been on his cheeks for a week and half. We took him to the doctor last Wednesday and the doc said it was just dry skin. But then on Thursday, we felt some hard lumps in the red spots. We FINALLY were able to get an appointment today. Joey does not have dry skin, after all. Michael and I aren't crazy.




Turns out Joey has "Popsicle" Panniculitis. According to one website: "The term "Popsicle" panniculitis, first used by Epstein, describes a benign, cold-induced, subcutaneous fat necrosis of the cheeks in young children who suck on the frozen confection. Ice packs and even cold air are other reported causes. The panniculitis usually appears about 1 to 3 days after the cold exposure as red, indurated, painless nodules or plaques on the cheek(s); however, it can develop on almost any skin surface."

Joey and I had gone on a hike 3 days prior to the red spots appearing. We even had covered his cheeks with Vaseline and he was super bundled up! But, obviously, Joey is super sensitive to the cold. Our doctor has been working at this Alaskan hospital since 1969 and she has only seen three cases (including Joey) of this! It must be pretty uncommon because she even brought 4-5 other doctors and nurses in to see Joey's cheeks!

These lumps and redness don't bother Joey. He has been in a great mood. There is no treatment for it. The spots and lumps will eventually go away (the doc said a few weeks). The doc also said that we can continue to go outdoors, we just need to make sure Joey is super super bundled up and his face is LATHERED with Vaseline and/or a scarf.

I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty upset after this appointment. I felt so guilty and horrible for this happening. I mean, I'm the one that exposed my baby to these cold temperatures just so I could get my exercise and socialization on. However, after a little bit of time and talking with Michael and some friends, this wasn't my fault. How were we to know Joey was uber cold sensitive?! I did everything I possibly could to make sure my babe was properly dressed for the cold. Plus, there were lots of babes out on that hike and none of them have this panniculitis!

We're going to make a few little ground rules for our winter outdoor activities so this doesn't happen again.

1) No outside time if it's below 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

2) No more 60 minutes of outside time during below freezing temps! We're only going to hang outside, if it's below freezing, for about 30-40 minutes.

This has been super stressful not knowing what was going on with Joey, but now we know. I'm still kind of nervous about taking him outside, but I know that we will all go bonkers if we stop hiking. We're just going to have to follow our new ground rules and make sure we're even more bundled up, especially Joey's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment