Saturday, November 13, 2010

Brisk Walks

Our weather has been pretty awesome lately. Not too cold, and definitely not hot! We do have snow, but not that much...yet! Our temps have been in the 30's and 40's during the daytime. This temps are actually a little too warm, though, because they melt the snow and then everything is a dirty mess. Blah! This weather is the perfect weather for hiking!


Here are some photos from this past week's walks with the babes and mamas!Joey and me on the Far North Bicentennial Trail. We did about 3 miles with the group. Joey was asleep when the group was done walking, so we decided to keep walking a little more so Joey could continue his nap. I think we walked another mile or two! Go us!

Joey all bundled up! This is my view of him when he is in the ERGO baby carrier.

Some of you have asked "How do you not slip or fall while walking in the snow or on ice?". Well, the photo above holds your answer. Ice grippers/crampons! You just slide them over your shoes. I bought these hardcore babies at the end of last season for a super cheap deal! They are AWESOME! I could even walk on a glacier with these! (If you look close enough, you may be able to see the metal spikes on the chains!)
Fortunately, Michael was able to slip away from work for a little while and go on this family hike! When we started the hike, I was carrying Joey. However, I remembered that this hike is uphill for the whole first half! Michael was so nice and switched with me! He and Joey needed some bonding time anyways! ;)

The hike we did today was South Fork Rim Trail. It was so pretty out there today! I'm really glad that we went. In one of my "preparing your baby for the cold" classes, I learned that you should have your babies/children outside, regardless of the temps or weather, for 60 minutes a day! This outside time really can help decrease the chances of ear infections and colds. Think about it...most people stay indoors during the winter. All of those people breathing the same air over and over again. That's a recipe for nasty germs! By going outside for 60 minutes a day, you are giving your lungs the chance to circulate some fresh clean (hopefully!) air! My goal is to get Joey outside for one hour a day. Even if I dress him up in his winter gear and put him in the exersaucer while I shovel the driveway! (Don't worry, I will take lots of pictures of that)!


Sending our love from Alaska! :)

3 comments:

  1. Great photo's! Love the one of you, Michael and Joey. Michael has a big smile on his face and it looks great! We miss you all so much and will see you in 39 more days!!! I know Michael can't wait to see his favorite mother-in-law! I will be more than happy to spoil you allm which I plan too. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you granny! Love, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then that answers Mikes question of "how does she not slip?" I like the crampons. But I will say that they sound like some kind of menstrual remedy.

    ReplyDelete