Friday, October 15, 2010

Livin' the High Life

This past Thursday, my mom group hiked...no, wait, scratch that. We climbed a mountain. With babies strapped to us. That's right, we took it up a notch. This was a hike I did way before I was pregnant. I hated it then, and I hate it now. The views are absolutely amazing, but the whole climbing a mountain part sucked.

However, I was super proud of myself for making it to the ridge line. A few of our mamas had to turn around due to baby mutiny. Luckily, Joey was having a good day and slept the whole way up the mountain! :)


It was quite chilly! Our temps are now in the 20's at night and 30's and 40's during the day. Joey and I both had to step it up a bit in the clothing department. We bought the polypro long underwear Joey is modeling in the photo above from one of the super outdoor moms in the group for an incredible deal! This was Joey's base layer.

Then we put Joey in a fleece bunting suit (another purchase from the super outdoor mom)! We also bought some big snow boots that Joey wore over his fleece suit! In addition to all of these layers, he was cuddled up next to me in his carrier. He seemed nice and toasty!

As much as I hated hiking up this mountain, I was so glad I did it! Our fall weather is amazing right now, and I am trying to take every opportunity to enjoy it right now. We should be leaving Alaska around this time next year, so I don't want to miss one chance to get outside and relish in the amazing beauty this state has to offer! My only wish is that Joey could remember all of the things he's getting to do right now. I know he'll have this blog and all of our photos and our stories, but it's not the same. He is one lucky baby to get to see and do things that most people don't even get to do in their lifetimes.


P.S.- Yes, that is snow I'm standing in and we saw a coyote on our hike!

1 comment: