Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Back into the Swing of Things

When Joey and I left Alaska on vacation, there was still lots of snow on the ground and in the forecast.  But, when we returned a few weeks later, most of the snow was melted!  Woo hoo!!  I had a great time skiing this winter, but I am so happy that warmer and lighter days are here.  Even though Joey was still a little under the weather last week, we were able to get outside one day for our weekly Thursday hike! 

This hike was at Potter's Creek trail head in the Chugach State Park.  This hike is one of my favs.  There are lots of little ups and downs.  It's not a hard hike, by any means, but it still gets my heart rate up!  (I don't know if that's a bad thing or not!  Ha ha!). 

 I still love my ERGObaby carrier, but I have and will be using my framed backpack for most upcoming hikes.  I will be doing a 34-mile backpacking trip along the Chilkoot Trail, or Goldrush Trail, this summer and I need to start getting my training underway.  I have walked 39 miles before (twice!), but that was on flat pavement.  This hike will take us about 4-5 days to complete due to most of the hike consisting of us going up!  We will be hiking some crazy mountains from what I hear.  I will be joining my friend, Amy, and her mom and mom's friends.  I will not be taking Joey because I really don't want to haul him, plus all of our gear, for 4-5 days in the wilderness of Alaska.  One of the items on my Alaska bucket list was to take a backpacking trip.  I think a 4-5 day trip will suffice.  Go big or go home, right?!?!

It was really nice to see my fellow hiking parents.  I had really slacked off in the hiking department before my trip.  I was burnt out with all of the preparation for taking myself and Joey out in the cold.  Plus, I really got into cross-country skiing with Joey, so hiking got pushed to the side.  However, I am rejuvenated after my trip and am ready to start hiking up a storm!  I better be hiking, otherwise this summer's backpacking trip is going to whip my booty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment