We went to Joey's nine-month baby wellness checkup this past Thursday. At our hospital, if you're baby is doing fine, then they don't do a nine-month appointment. We had to take Joey in because there was some concern with his head measurements at his six-month appointment (the doctor really thought someone measured his head incorrectly or wrote the measurement down wrong).
Joey's head is perfect! (Duh! I could have told you that!) It measured 46 inches in diameter which means it is right where it needs to be! I hope they had a serious talk with the person that recorded the wrong measurement because, I'm not gonna lie, I have slightly worried about this. I knew it was probably a mistake, but still...
| Joey's new fascination, the blinds! |
Joey now weighs 19 lbs, 8 oz! That puts him right below the 50th percentile. He was in this same percentile for his age and weight at 6 months! Holdin' it steady!
Now Joey's length is a whole other story! He now measures 30 inches long. That puts him in the 95th percentile! He was only in the 50th percentile at his six-month appointment! So, when all of you have been commenting that Joey has been growing like a weed, you were completely right! Straight up!
Everything else with Joey was good. Joey has some pretty bad rug burns on his knees, feet, and toes (and, yes, I put pants and socks on Joey). The doc just suggested to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I also asked the doc about Joey biting everything and EVERYONE! She told me to just remove him from the situation. Don't let him get too excited where he wants to bite. I think after this discussion, she understood why I stopped nursing.
Speaking of that, I am no longer nursing Joey at all. I haven't been in any pain at all, but I think it's because I have gradually weaned Joey over the past 2.5 months. I still have some breast milk in the freezer and I tried to give Joey some of this milk (mixed with formula) the other day. He wouldn't take it. Ouch! That kind of hurt my heart. But it is probably for the best. He has switched...no need to try to regress. He's not even rooting anymore. Being sad while I was weaning was a feeling I really wasn't prepared for. I never liked breastfeeding. But, when it came time to wean, I really think I was the one dragging my feet. So weird!
| Joey trying out some new mittens! He was not too happy that he had to wear these in the house. |
However, I really do like formula feeding for a few reasons:
1) Michael can really be involved now. I'm not sure why it was an issue when Michael had to give Joey breast milk in a bottle, but now that I am completely out of the picture (open the can of formula, make the bottle, in the baby's mouth), Michael seems to really enjoy feeding Joey.
2) It is so much quicker! It is ridiculous how much quicker this process is! Jeez!!
3) Joey does not go for my boob or any boob anymore! I have seen a few walking kids, that are still breastfed, that pull down their mom's shirts to get to the boob. This kind of grosses me out. I know the kid has no clue what they are doing, and it's only natural, but I really did not want Joey to do this to me...or any other woman he encountered.
4) Michael and I are discussing having another baby (pick up your jaws!). I would like to have my body back to myself 100% before I get pregnant again. Being pregnant and then breastfeeding really leaves no time for me to have my body. It always "belongs" to someone else. It really is nice not to have to worry about how my food or drink intake is going to affect my breast milk and someone else!
| Joey getting ready for our ski! |
I'm glad I am done nursing, but somewhat sad. I can't even really describe why I'm sad, I just am. It's such a weird feeling that I never thought I would feel. However, I am really glad we weaned when we did. No regrets!
| Our practice run for the Ski for Women! |
Everything else with Joey is going really well. He is cutting his 8th tooth right now. It has not broken through the gums yet, but I really wish it would. Joey is super cranky and fussy right now. I guess I would be, too, if I had some hard enamel surface trying to cut through my soft tender gums!
| How Joey looks at me while in the Chariot. So lovingly, huh? |




No comments:
Post a Comment