Saturday, May 22, 2010

Let's Backtrack...

I know a few of you readers out there actually use this blog as a reference or resource for your own pregnancy/new baby adventure, so I'm trying not to leave anything out. I did want to tell you a little more about my emotional stuff after the delivery.

You know how in the movies or reality shows all of the women that just had babies all cry and supposedly feel this overwhelming love and emotion once they see their new baby? Well, that did not happen with me.

I'm not sure if this was due to me having a c-section. Since I have never had a vaginal birth or even had to go through labor period, I did not have this huge buildup of hours and hours of intense pain to then be rewarded with my son.

I was laying on the table with a baby in me one minute, and the next minute, I had my body back. I felt the doctors actually pull Joey out of me. It's like when you are so bloated that you feel like a goodyear blimp and then you finally pass gas, you feel the biggest relief of pressure. I know that's not the most "romantic" analogy, but it's the best comparison I can think of!

As soon as the docs removed Joey, they took him to the corner of the room to make sure he was okay. After about five minutes, they brought Joey over to me so I could see him for a quick minute. Then he was gone. Michael was gone, too. I just laid on the table trying to tell myself that I just had a baby. This was the most surreal experience I have ever had! Where was all of the emotion and love I was supposed to feel when I met my little man? I didn't feel any of that. I had to actually keep reminding myself that I just had a baby.

I still did not feel much emotion for our little guy while we were in the hospital. This was probably due to the constant attention of medical staff for Joey and me. Michael and I weren't in our own home where reality could set in.

However, I did eventually feel the love and emotion you see on tv. It was during our first week home. The more time I spend with Joey, the more in love I am with him. He really is amazing and I am in disbelief that Michael and I created such a beautiful perfect human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment