So, we had our 38-week appointment this past Friday.
Let's start out with the good news. Joey's heart beat was in the 130's which is really good and has been very consistent this whole time! I've also lost 5 lbs in two weeks! That was wonderful to hear, so now, total, I have only gained 40 lbs during this pregnancy which makes me really happy! My uterus also measured 38 weeks, so I'm still growing on schedule. Oh, and my iron has finally increased! I guess really taking the amount of pills I was instructed to take worked!
Okay, now onto the rest of the appointment...
First off, I tested positive for Strep B. Son of a bitch! Did I really pop for every damn thing during this pregnancy?!?! So, once I go into labor, they will give me a bunch of antibiotics to treat the Strep B so it is not passed onto Joey. There's no need to treat me now because it could come back by the time Joey arrives.
Now, onto the big news...Joey is breech, meaning his head is up in my ribs now instead of down by my vagina. Also, Michael, Jill, and myself are all idiots, and thank goodness we're not doctors because Joey has NOT dropped at all! He's not even close to my damn pelvic bone yet.
Anyways, back to the breech part. Our hospital will not deliver a breech baby vaginally, so that means c-section. However, Joey does still have a little space left in there to move around so we're going to try this procedure, external cephalic version, where the doctor tries to manually flip the baby from the outside of my body. This procedure shouldn't cause Joey too much stress, but it can be really painful for me. The doctor did suggest us waiting until after 39 weeks to try this procedure where I can have an epidural so the pain wouldn't be as bad. However, by waiting until 39 weeks, Joey won't have as much room to rotate.
The docs will do this version procedure in labor and delivery, so if there are any complications (placenta ruptures, cord around baby's neck, etc.), they can do an emergency c-section right there on the spot. There's a 40-50% chance that this procedure may not work because Joey just doesn't want to flip. If this happens, then we will just schedule my c-section for sometime after I hit 40-weeks.The benefit of trying this version is that having a baby vaginally is the least stressful for the baby. If we do the version and it works, then Joey can be born vaginally! If the version fails, no big deal, we'll have a c-section.
This was definitely not what I was expecting to hear at this appointment. Unfortunately, Michael was not able to be at this appointment due to work stuff. I made the decision on what to do and then called Michael immediately to get his input. We both agreed on the decision I had made...
We are going to have the version procedure done this Monday (as long as a lot of ladies do not go into labor that morning! Since it will be done in Labor and Delivery, there may not be a room available if people are popping babies out!). We do not want to lessen Joey's chance to rotate due to a lack of space because I am afraid of the pain. So, we are going to forgo the epidural since we would have to wait until after 39-weeks. If the procedure works, then we'll be sent home and then we'll just wait for Joey to make his debut. If version does not work, then we'll schedule the c-section for sometime after the 40-week mark. I should not deliver this baby on Monday unless there is a complication during the procedure. However, if there is a complication, they will do an emergency c-section on the spot.
The doctor did ask if I felt a big bump up under my boobs. I told her yes and she said that is his head. I feel kind of guilty now because I have been poking that big bump since I thought it was his butt! Michael told me that Joey was doing all of this "wrong side" stuff because he was mad I was poking him! I told Michael that this was all of his fault because he has been saying for months that he wanted Joey to come on May 3 since he has a huge work inspection that day! LOL!
Joey is already acting like a man...making things difficult and being hard-headed! ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment