Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Big Show...Three-hour Glucose Test

Well, we are waiting on the results. I did took my three-hour glucose tolerance test yesterday. If I fail this test, then I have gestational diabetes.

I had to do a three-day diet which I really was freaking out about. Once I calmed down and pulled my head out of my butt, I realized that I just had to eat an extra 15 grams of carbs per day. Has anyone seen my diet? All I eat are carbs! (hmmm, maybe this is why I have already gained 35 lbs)! You throw the word "diet" in there and I run around like a chicken with it's head cut off! Anyways, I happily completed this carb "diet" with flying colors.

I then had to fast for 8 hours before the test. This was not initially too hard since I ate dinner and then went to bed. As soon as we got up the next morning, I headed to the hospital to take the test. However, I did not get to the hospital as quickly as I would have liked because Michael was dragging his feet getting ready for work. Did he not understand that I was about to become the exorcist woman in few hours due to my lack of food??!?! I was handling the no food for 8 hours, but now I was going to have to sit around for another 3 with no food intake! This was no joke!


Once I got to the hospital, the took some blood and then gave me the larger nasty ass
non-carbonated soda stuff to drink (this time it was orange flavored) within five minutes. They also informed me that if I puked, I would have to start all over again. What? Are you kidding me?!?! There was no way that I was going to puke! I would swallow my vomit just so I wouldn't have to do this all over again! Luckily, I was allowed to drink water during this time period. Let me tell you, I think I drank 10 gallons of water during these three hours. Anytime I would start to taste that drink coming back up, I would chug some water. (Note: I sat very close to the bathroom and clock!)

After I completed the nasty ass drink, I notified the lab peeps. I then had to sit in the lab area, yes, that's right, I was also not allowed to leave the lab area for this entire three hours. They lab peeps would then draw my blood every hour on the hour for three hours. The needle pricks don't bother me too much since I'm used to them from donating blood all of the time. The sitting around actually wasn't too bad either. The first hour was kind of rough because I really did think I was going to vomit from that drink and the lab area was not that busy yet.

For those of you that really know me, you know that one of my favorite pastimes is people watching. Let me tell you, that if you are a people watcher, you need to go to a military hospital!! My last two hours of this test flew by due to all of the activity in the hospital and I was only in the lab/pharmacy area! First off, I knew I was in a military hospital due to all of the children! In my three hours of sitting around, I counted 10 newborn babies that were all two weeks old (Seeing all of those tiny little newborns did get me all excited about meeting Joey in a few months!). Then there were TONS of toddlers and young children running around.

Then there was a 12 year old boy that was taken back to the "pricking" room and was literally screaming...this lasted for 1 hour and 15 minutes! Everyone in the waiting rooms could hear him. It was nuts. I got called back to the "pricking" room during his rant and he wasn't even getting poked! He would just scream looking at the needle. I felt really bad for this boy. Turns out, that the boy was autistic and the lab techs and grandma were having to explain to him what was going on. That made a little more sense why a 12-year old boy was reacting like that for so long to a needle.

The best story from this visit was actually two little five-year old girls that were very active and jovial in the waiting room. As soon as the lab tech opened the door and called their names, the girls both started screaming and crying! They knew that they were about to get some shots! The mother looked at one of the little girls and stated "Don't worry, you're safe!". As soon the mom said that to the one little girl, she shut right up and was all happy again! It was so funny. The little girl that did get the shot was crying and upset in the back (we could hear her out in the waiting room), but then was fine once she walked out. When they opened the door to let her out of the "pricking" room, she loudly and happily exclaimed "Buh-bye!". Priceless.

So, back to my test, I've completed it and now we're just waiting on the results. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that it comes back negative and I am gestational diabetes free!

No comments:

Post a Comment