On our little getaway, the area received about 6 inches of snow the first day we were there. I was so stoked because that meant lots of cross-country skiing and tubing and playing in the snow!
Joey was pretty cute all bundled up in his little layers (notice that is his rainsuit as the outer layer! Talk about some recycling!) Joey didn't like putting on his hat and gloves for the first five minutes. Then he realized it was cold outside! He didn't leave the room without these necessities after that!
We were able to get Joey on kiddie skis! This was so awesome and had a lot of the resort staff members smiling.
Joey loved the poles and seemed to do really well on the skis!
He skied for about a minute or two and then totally had a meltdown. I think this was due to him being cold. He wouldn't wear gloves while holding the poles which in turn made for some frozen hands and an unhappy Joey. He wouldn't even go in the pulk sled at this moment because he was so upset. We had to go inside and play Legos and trains to calm him down.
After a few hours, we tried to go skiing again. This time we put him in the sled and started on our way. The trails weren't that good because they had not been groomed and the snow was super thick and sticky. Michael and I both fell a couple of times which made Joey laugh. He eventually fell asleep in that sled! Gotta love a pulk!
We only stayed out for 30-40 minutes due to us being cold, worrying about Joey, and the not-so-great trail conditions. Joey was asleep when we turned around, but we didn't put any blankets in the sled with him so we were worried about getting miles down the trail, Joey waking up and freaking out, and us having to try to ski miles back with a pissed off toddler! We didn't want to take the risk.
This was a very eye-opening trip for myself. I had all of these plans to ski all weekend long, and just enjoy myself. This, obviously, did not happen because of Joey's lack of participation in my plan. I was really upset when we had to go back inside after Joey's skiing trial. Why did he have to throw such a fit? Why wouldn't he just wear the stupid gloves? Why can't we just go skiing?!!?! After I composed myself, I thought of all of my Alaskan friends and their toddlers. I remembered reading on their FB pages or blogs how a lot of their toddlers could only handle so much cold outside time. Sometimes they would only last 10 minutes! Joey was not weird or a SoCal wussy kid, he was a normal toddler. It's hard to dress someone other than yourself for cold temps. You don't know when they're too cold or too hot, until it's too late sometimes. I guess I would throw a world-class tantrum if my fingers were freezing and my mother just stood there looking at me like I was crazy.
I also learned that I need to enjoy the moment/stage we're in. For example, with us living near all of these amusement parks, I want to take Joey to all of them and ride all of the rides. Well, we can't do that because he's not even two years old yet! This makes me frustrated because we will probably be living somewhere else by the time Joey is tall enough to ride everything. But, you know what, there will be plenty of time for that kind of stuff. The times of cuddling, wanting to be with Mommy, learning and discovering everything, playing, and more are right now and won't last forever. I need to start living in the now and not jumping to the future. I think this will make me (and Joey) much happier. However, I will not stop wishing for the tantrum stage to be over with. I will never miss tantrums.




No comments:
Post a Comment