Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Yay for rotten teeth!

Not sure if you know that when you're pregnant, your teeth can go all to hell! I did not know this before I got pregnant. When I took my OB orientation, the doc told us to make sure to take extra good care of our teeth because they can rot easier when you're pregnant! What?!?! Your digestive system slows down when you're pregnant, and just in case you forgot this tidbit of information from elementary school (like I did), the digestive process starts in your mouth! Therefore, bacteria has a much better and faster chance of building up in your mouth because your normal bodily defenses against gingivitis are on hiatus! Damn! They actually have a term called "pregnancy gingivitis"!!! I have military insurance which is usually pretty good, but also very strict with the amount of visits you can go to certain doctors. However, they believe in preventative maintenance so much, that they allow pregnant ladies to get 3 cleanings the year they are pregnant versus the normal two!

I'm not the most avid flosser and I know my mouth is usually in a lot of pain when I leave the dentist at my normal 6-month check-ups, so I decided to use this extra cleaning. Plus, you'd think our sink was painted red (instead of white) due to all of the blood that is coming out of my mouth after brushing and flossing everyday! I actually ran out of floss yesterday! That never has happened to me...ever!! That should tell you how much I am taking this dental advice to heart right now! I do not want to have photos taken of B-Dawg, Michael, and me-no tooth Mama!

I had my extra cleaning appointment this morning. I even braved a freaking blizzard in my Prius to go get my mouth taken care of. Good thing I went because the hygienist told me that I have a really bad case of pregnancy gingivitis. Damn, damn, damn. I love being pregnant. I will be going back in 4 months for another cleaning. Signing off, Please-God-Don't-Let-Me-Become-No-Tooth-Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment