Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Peace Out, First Trimester!

The day after I got home from NC, we had our 12 week appointment. If any of you have talked to me, I have been extremely nervous about having a miscarriage. I know, I know, if it happens, something was wrong and it is God's way of fixing things. Natural selection. I understand all of that. But with that said, it still does not make it any easier to not worry about it. I am a natural worrier. I have actually gotten better over the years with my worrying, but I still worry. Also, we, unfortunately, know a lot of people that have had miscarriages. I know I should not compare pregnancies because they are all different, but I do compare. It probably didn't help that everyone and their mother told me stories about people that they knew that had miscarriages. I know this was all done in an effort to make me feel better, because the stories usually contained endings about how the couple got pregnant again and everything was perfect or things in life went other ways that were perfect. However, for worriers, this stuff just makes matters worse. I would think about these stories and compare where I was in pregnancy and where the lady was at (in weeks) when she miscarried. This has been super stressful and I know Michael thinks he has married a babbling, non-stop crying fool!

I was super nervous about this 12-week appointment. I was so excited to hear the heartbeat again, but really nervous, because what if my worst fear actually came true and B-dawg wasn't B-dawg anymore. But it would be good to know and put some of my worries at ease. Once Micahel got to the appointment (he was running a little late due to work, but I was able to stall...A LOT until he got there before we got to the good stuff, aka the heartbeat!), we were able to listen for the heartbeat. And there it was!! 152 beats per minute! I actually teared up. Just to know, that B-dawg was still alive and kicking was such a load off of my mind and heart. I was so thankful that we heard it! The doctor also felt my uterus from the outside and had Michael and me feel it. I really didn't feel it, but Michael did. So when we got home, he kept showing me where it was since I, obviously, don't know my own body. I think he just wanted to get my pants off (sorry to our parent's reading this!!). Leave it to a man! :)

Also, I know a few of you have been highly concerned that we have a cat, especially with me being pregnant. Well, we spoke to the doctor, and they are all aware we have a feline. I am not touching, changing, smelling, or playing with the cat litter box. Michael is not a cat person, but he is the best husband in the world and dealing with the litter box while I'm pregnant. Our cat is an indoors only cat. She does not hunt. I have stopped playing with the cats at the shelter where I volunteer (which highly pains me because I am such a cat person). Also, I have always had a cat in my life...ever since I was a baby. My first cat's name was Smeow, then Snowzie, then Bach, then Frisky, and now Riesling. According to all of the literature I have read, I most likely have already been exposed and have an immunity to taxoplasmosis since I have always had cats, played in dirt, or handled raw meat. So for all of you cat worriers out there, stop! :)

I can also drink aspartame. It has been around for 30-40 years and it is safe for pregnant peeps. Plus I'm only drinking one 12-ounce diet caffeine free soda a day.

And the best news from this appointment (besides hearing the heartbeat), was that we were officially out of the 1st trimester!!! Whoop whoop!!! We had this appointment on 12 week 4 days. I was really confused when the 1st trimester ended because different sources say different things. The doctor said when you hit 12 weeks, you are out of it. So that's what we went with! :) I also asked her if our chance of miscarriage goes down significantly now? The best word I could have heard at the moment...YES!!! Whew!!! The biggest sigh of relief ever! I think I also teared up at this. (Damn, these pregnant hormones!! I'm going to be a damn mess at the delivery!)

No comments:

Post a Comment