As a childless adult, I knew that there were Christmas events here and there for children and families, but I never realized how many until I had a kid! We have attended or participated in so many kid events this season, that I don't know what Joey is gonna think when it's January!
The first event we attended was a Christmas Festival sponsored by military housing. There was cookie decorating, free food, snow, reindeer, and a visit with Santa!
Joey really liked the reindeer! Too bad we didn't visit the reindeer farm while we lived in the 49th state.
What I thought was really hilarious was that they brought in snow for the kids to play in and sled down! How ridiculous does this sound to my Alaskan peeps?!!? Ha ha! Joey liked to stand in the snow. However I had to remove him from the area very quickly because the snow ball fights were getting pretty intense. How do you explain to people that your Southern California toddler got a black eye from snow in his current neighborhood? Yeah, that's believable.
Military housing also randomly selected 250 housing tenants to receive a "gift". This gift was a $25 gift certificate to the commissary (military grocery store), a bag full of non-perishable food, a free photo with Santa, an ornament, and a backpack full of toys for the kids! In the toy tent, parents were not allowed in, only children. That way the kids got to pick what they really wanted. One of the volunteers took Joey and walked him through the toy tent. He walked out with all of the stuff in the above photo (except the stroller...that's ours)!! This was a great event and we all got very spoiled.
Joey had a great time at this event. I think his favorite part were the suckers! He was absolutely covered in candy juice! It was so gross.
We also had a visit from a local boy scout troop this past month. They sang a couple Christmas carols to us and gave Joey a few presents. They wanted to show us their support for the military and their families. It was such a sweet gesture. Michael and I were both incredibly moved and grateful for this little event.
Today, we hung out with my second cousins, McKenzie and Madison. We made lots of cookies and sweets! Joey was all ready to get the cookies out of the oven!
Joey really liked decorating the cookies with the girls. Notice that giant glob of green on one of the cookies? Those are green sprinkles all on ONE cookie! Ha ha! Joey went a little crazy!
It's really been a great month and we're looking forward to the next few days! We hope that you all have had a great Christmas prep month and take some time to enjoy the season! :)




Love. The snow.
ReplyDelete